Thursday, July 10, 2008

Oh For F**k's Sake...


One of my favourite artists in the world, Noel Gallagher, has jumped on the "games promote violence" bandwagon, in an interview with BBC Radio One's Newsbeat programme.

I seriously love this guy's music, have all their LPs and have seen them in concert three times.

But when he spouts ill informed opinion like this, I want to hold my head in my hands and cry.

The frankly grim rise in knife crime in the UK is due to bad social conditions, poverty, poor education, entrenched gang attitudes in inner cities and a shitty government that has done very little to address any of the above in it's 11 years in office. A government which Mr. Gallagher was very happy to endorse back in 1997 by the way.

Here's his comments in full:

'Oasis' Noel Gallagher has blamed violent videogames as one of the reasons for the knife crime problem among Britain's youth.

Speaking to BBC Newsbeat, the song writer said that violent games desensitise kids from crime, which is "really, really scary," he said."I was up in Liverpool for a week a couple of weeks ago and even on the news there it's every single night," said Gallagher.

"In my day, status was trying to be somebody, do you know what I mean, not trying to kill somebody."People say it's through violent video games and I guess that's got something to do with it", he suggested.

"If kids are sitting up all night smoking super skunk and they become so desensitised to crime because they're playing these video games, it's really, really scary.""I don't even know what Cameron or Gordon Brown are going to do about it," he added.'

FK's Opinion? Noel... You're talking through your arse.

13 comments:

blondejon said...

what a penis.

NebachadnezzaR said...

That's indeed fucked up... I don't think that will ever happen to me, since my favourite band actually have their own game (http://tinyurl.com/dedfq), but I can imagine what it should be like to see our idols speak shit.

Junlee said...

First MJ turns himself hideous, and now this guy is talking nonsense...you can't catch a break with your musical idols can you fatherk! LOL!

blondejon said...

and he slept with children and paid one of them off not to say anything about it...

Junlee said...

*slaps BJ*

You know how fatherk and I feel about Mike!

*runs away from BJ for slapping him*

fatherkrishna said...

OK How did this get to be about Mike?

It was about Noel Gallagher making ill informed comments about gaming wasn't it?

But anyway, seeing as we're on the subject of Mike... Here's a new post...

NebachadnezzaR said...

Stop slapping BJ already!

Junlee said...

LOL!

blondejon said...

so are you in denial about him sleeping with children and paying one of them off?

fatherkrishna said...

Actually BJ, with respect, there is a lot more to that original 1995case than meets the eye.

If you thought your kid had genuinely been molested by someone what would you do? I'd fucking kill them. If I managed to restrain my immediate feelings, I'd go straight to the police.

What did he do? Asked Jackson for money to finance a movie idea...

HMMM! Something not quite right there...

Jackson has made many ill informed decisions before, but paying an acuser off rather than vindicating himself has got to be the worst.

The prosecutor in that case and the 2005 one, Tom Sneddon, was absolutely determined to prove Jackson guilty.

No stone was left unturned in the 2005 trial, including the details of the 1995 accusations.

The verdict of the jury was innocent of all charges. I watched the transcripts of the trial everyday on Sky and have done considerable reading around the allegations and the characters that made them.

The people who made them in every case were prepared to extort money rather than see Jackson punished for his alleged crimes.

Yes, he was stupid and inapropriate to have 'sleep overs' with children. He placed himself in a prime position for the allegations that were made by the parents of those children (who incidentally gave permission for said sleep overs). None of his advisors told him it was stupid or innapropriate.

However, I do not believe for one second he molested them. If I did, I would not be a fan. I would despise him.

Junlee said...

Couldn't have said it better myself fatherk...even if I wanted to! That was masterfully written. lol

No bj, I've never been in denial about it because I've never thought he did it. Is he fucking weird, a terrible decision maker, and a bit creepy? Hell yes! Child molester? Don't think so.

fatherkrishna said...

It is something of a quandry that Jackson's known and well publicised (vastly inapropriate) behaviour was endorsed by the media up to a point... Neverland, man-child, hanging out with famous kids like McCauley Culkin and Sean Lennon...

But then it turned... it should never have been allowed in the first place. But when I think about it, I'd have no problem with letting a child (my nephews and nieces, God children, sons etc.) sleeping in my bed. It's natural if there is nothing sinister about it.

The problem with Jacko is that it is none of the family members mentioned above. It's the children of willing parents that have no connection with the man other than wanting a slice of his fortune.

One of them should have had the common sense to say "Ermmm... NO! That is wrong..."

I think Mr. Jackson is somewhat fucked up by his up-bringing, documented physical parental abuse, the fact that his childhood was sacrificed by father Joe Jackson for fame and fortune and the fact that no one in his camp ever said "Uhm Mike, You know that sleep over is not a good idea... Those kids are twelve and you are a grown man of 41... What would the press think???"

I still say he was innocent BUT very ill advised...

Junlee said...

Yeah I agree, but Mike it turning the big 50 here soon, so hopefully not only will he be releasing some new tunes, but he'll also have his mind straight.