Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Virtua Fighter (Megadrive) On The Virtual Console!




Wow! This is the first time I've ever seen any gameplay from the Megadrive/Genesis version of Virtua Fighter... In fact I've never even understood how a Saturn launch title, and one that is so inextricably linked to that console, could have appeared on it's predecessor...

But now it all makes sense... cashing in on the enthusiasm for the new Saturn franchise, Sega planned to make a quick buck off those Megadrive owning gamers, without the resources to buy a brand new console, by presenting them with a 2D version of it's brand new 3D fighter.


But do you know what, as well as looking rather like it's 3D contemporary, it sems to play like a nice little 2D beat 'em up in the style of Street Fighter. I'm massively impressed and if I don't find it on my Megadrive emulator for the Dreamcast, I'll bite the bullet and download this on the VC! Happy days!

13 comments:

The Sports Satirist said...

There is no turning back after playing Virtua Fighter 5 for me.

blondejon said...

Virtua #fighter 2 wasnt a launch title for the saturn, virtua fighter was

gnome said...

Well, as for me, I don't think I had ever registered the fact this game existed. Not too shabby either it seems...

Oh, and Father congrats on the amazing growth of the Saturn Junkyard. It's the definitive Saturn place on the 'net, I'd dare say... Bravo my friend!

fatherkrishna said...

I've yet to play VF5 Funnyman, but it will be a definite purchase in 2008...

Yes you're absolutely correct dear BJ! However, I'm still guessing that my thoughts on how this creature came into being are just about right though...

Thank you for your kind comments dear Gnome! I take my inspiration from the best teachers a man could have (that's you and Elderly BTW!)

blondejon said...

yes i think you are right, in fact i was looking at the wiki today trying to find where the copy of virtua fighter history I have as a back up fits into every thing (couldn't find it though)

Please take note, the VC cannot upscale older console games to component hi def output, only the n64 games i have are still playable which is sad.

The Sports Satirist said...

Don't forget about Soul Caliber 4 and Street Fighter 4 as well in 2008 (assuming they both come out in 2008).

Junlee said...

I have yet to play VF5? Is it really that good?

I need a fighter for my PS3, and it's pretty cheap now.

The Sports Satirist said...

Once you play VF 5, you will throw VF 2 in the garbage.

NebachadnezzaR said...

I played the game some time ago (it's one of the games included on Mega Drive Collection for the PS2) and it pretty much sucks, at least if you've already played the Saturn version.

Father, if you don't find it on your emulator, you can always buy the MD Collection. It should be pretty cheap by now, and there's lots of great games on it.

Junlee said...

Sooooo...would you say that VF5 is worth $30 or $40?

Random J said...

This game is shit. I remember renting it when it first came out. I don't know why Sega even bothered releasing it. With that said, graphically it doesn't look that much different from the Saturn version.

:P

fatherkrishna said...

well guess which sucker forked out about £7 on the Virtual Console to secure this? It's not even a decent 2D fighter, it just LOOKS decently like Virtua Fighter...

Will I ever learn?

Junlee, I'm picking up VF5 ASAP. Imagine online battles between you and I...

The Sports Satirist said...

How are you planning to play junlee? He doesn't have a 360.