Saturday, November 21, 2009

Catch Up: Contentment...




I've been totally absent from the computer for some time , which is happily a reflection of my increasing good health and independence since my operation. I've also been in a happy period of gaming contentment in a variety of ways.


Firstly I completed the epic Shenmue on the Dreamcast. I'd played it partly because I wanted to give my Dreamcast some love, as I'd neglected it for some time. It's quite a gently paced game with a kick ass ending. I wondered whether it would stand the test of time, and it does. It looks and sounds brilliant, it's immersive and engaging, epic and wonderful. It was a nice, soothingly paced game to play as I was recovering.


As soon as I finished Shenmue, I allowed myself the luxury of downloading The Ballad Of Gay Tony, the latest download for GTA IV on the 360. It's an absolute blast to have the opportunity to explore another aspect of life in Liberty City. I couldn't be happier than when I'm playing through a GTA IV game and opening up the life of a character - Niko Bellic, Johnny Klebbitz or new guy Luis Lopez- but there is a problem...


I don't know if it's my download only, but the game is constantly crashing during missions, sometimes seconds before the conclusion of a lengthy mission and has seriously hampered my progress in and enjoyment of the game. So much so that I've found distraction elsewhere.



Stranglehold is a game which I'd dipped into in short bursts, but not really played properly. The John Woo directed 'sequel' to the epic movie Hardboiled, the game follows the investigations of the legendary Inspector "Tequila" Yuen, played by Chow Yun Fat. I've now played a good chunk of the game and it's an explosive third person shooter with elements of the "bullet time" shooting mechanic of games like Max Payne and Matrix Path Of Neo. It's graphically lovely too.


I've also just put in a bit of time on both the DS and the PSP. I decided to give GTA: Liberty City Stories on the PSP another shot, after failing to make much progress on my first attempt. I've completed a good few missions which has of course lead to me liking it again... until the next time I get stuck!
I've also been playing Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare... (no not the COD:MW 2 that has just been released)... instead I've been playing the DS adaptation of the game that was a poor consolation for Nintendo fans until now... The DS version is actually very good, with a lot of game squeezed into a tiny cartridge! Epic musical score, good use of sampled voice commands, nice 3D visuals and a good few missions that make great use of the DS stylus. I've completed it now and I'd thoroughly recommend it to any DS owners out there! I'm seriously considering getting COD: World At War on the DS on the back of my enjoyment of this title...





On my beloved PS2, I've been playing GTA: San Andreas and GTA: Vice City Stories (a PS2 port of a PSP game that I'd started previously, and then abandoned.) It's much easier on the PS2!

I've also been getting into a lot of films, watching the Star Wars series from episodes one through six and loving it so much that I actually started getting into the Clone Wars animated series too!


So anyway, just to let you know that I'm alive and well, getting better and loving my gaming!

Oh and I'm going to get the Darkside Chronicles tomorrow, so time to blow the dust off my Wii-mote and give the Wii some love!

8 comments:

Davecaster said...

Glad to read the update and hear that you are doing well.

Sounds as if you have been spending your time wisely.

I still lack disc 3 of Shenmue 2, after its unfortunate accident. Your comments here may inspire me to 'aquire' one ready for this weekend.

I love Star Wars too but, for me, the original trilogy is its defining series.

Junlee said...

Yay for teh update!

Empire Strikes Back FTW!

blondejon said...

great to see you are ok oh dearest of fathers

NebachadnezzaR said...

Glad you're doing fine :)

You're really getting into the GTA franchise, aren't you? I might pick up the 360 DLC's sometime, but for know the only GTA I want is Chinatown Wars. So much fun...

BTW, I started playing CoD4 for the DS sometime ago but then got stuck at that part where an enemy soldier grabs you and you have to shake him off. What are we supposed to do? I tried using the stylus in every direction and still nothing :/

Unknown said...

Well I can see why you haven't been updating here so often... Thats quite a busy list of stuff you got going there!

Unknown said...

Hows the new RE..?

Barry the Nomad said...

Ah! A Clone Wars convert! Awesome show. You'll really be loving the second season. The return to Geonosis is epic.

gnome said...

Excellent! You're doing well my friend and, well, that really is brilliant news!